Monday, June 13, 2011

Meeting the world- without moving an inch

I've dealt with a bit of blogger's block lately. I figured the whole 'practice makes perfect' thing would carry this blog straight into the stratosphere! Hmm...not quite. (On a positive note, the hit count has gone up) I never have a shortage of things to talk about, it's the whole writing thing that's a challenge!
So... a topic struck me on my (very cautiously, carefully driven) ride home. I meet some of the most interesting and unique people from all over the world at my job. In a way I'm the gatekeeper to the entire district- so anyone new has to meet me first, prove their eligibility, and submit the required documents. I then chat them up a little, explain some important materials and send them on their way, beaming with pleasure knowing their children are enrolled in one of the best school districts in Pennsylvania.

Being so highly sought after and close to a major metropolitan area brings people from all over the world. Literally. This afternoon was a parent from England, who has been living in Singapore the past 3 years while his 2 sons attend a British international school. A majority of the time it's a job dictating the next location for these highly mobile families. Some have moved as frequent as 7 times in 2 years! (That's one way to banish clutter from your life... and hello frequent flyer miles!) Other times the back story is unfortunate- most recently some families displaced as a result of the tsunami in Japan.

Every time someone comes to see me, there's always a short conversation about where they're from, the differences between here and there, and some great anecdotal stories I've come to appreciate and look forward to with each new international registrant. I  don't ask any of these questions; it's none of my business. People just seem relaxed and eager to open up. Maybe they're making conversation, or just being polite. Maybe they know I have a real penchant for travel, accents, and different people and places so I can blog all about it later! (...maybe not) 
Most are people native to their homeland, coming to the United States for the first time. Japan, Korea, Australia, Belarus, Finland, Venezuela, France, UAE, Israel, Greece, and Egypt is a sampling of where these families have moved from. 

The language barrier can be difficult, and some of the intangibles for doing a job like mine is having the patience, understanding, and solid communication skills to explain the requirements to attend a public school system to someone who has just stepped off a plane 24hrs earlier, from a place worlds away from where they stand now. In my mind, the phrase 'good communication skills' has lost its meaning and importance, weaseling its way onto nearly every job description and resume on the internet.

What determines though how 'good' one's skills really are?
Emailing your boss when you're not able to meet a deadline?
Preparing a neatly bulleted meeting agenda?
Ehhh...not really.
Try explaining to someone (over the phone) who speaks 50 words or less of English the residency, registration, and medical record requirements needed to attend a public school. Thankfully we utilize a really fantastic interpretation service where a translator can be called in pretty much any language or dialect you can imagine (in just minutes!) I've been through the trenches of the retail food industry, and honing your customer service skills is one thing. You take for granted the person complaining and giving you a hard time understands everything, as do you with them. Dealing with someone who understands neither the language, geographical area, or culture is having to reevaluate the entire way you explain something in a limited span of time. 
I realize there are many jobs way more difficult than mine, and there's no horn tooting going on here, trust me. I've gone on a bit of a tangent, and as you can imagine, I don't collect too many cool stories from the people who don't speak English. My point is, that side of my job, while fairly infrequent, has immensely improved my ability to explain something as objectively, efficiently and thoroughly as possible. Every day is something new, and in a few more years I'll have more fun facts and stories about so many places I'll be forced to take a trip around the world so I can see all these things for myself! As for now... I'll live vicariously through my weekly visitors  : )

No comments: