Monday, January 16, 2012

Enough Already

Guess where you won't find me after midnight these days?
The city of "brotherly" love, Philadelphia. The city where I lived for 4yrs (on the outermost border) during college. The city where I've worked tons of events for Job2, many at night, for the past 5+ years.


Why, you ask? Because I don't want to be senseless murder victim #___(fill in the blank, because it will probably change by the time you read this)


Before you bury your head in the sands of naivete, read this blog first:
http://kevinneary.com/
This guy is a good friend of a girl I used to work with. He was walking a few blocks home in November in NoLibs, after watching a Monday Night Football game at a nearby bar. Something a 29 yr old man should be able to do without issue, right?

Unfortunately not.
After an attempted robbery, he was shot, and is now paralyzed from the neck down for the rest of his life. This is one of dozens of stories that sling more ugly, nasty mud across the 'good name' the city of Philadelphia is trying to promote to potential tourists, and anyone else who thinks of it as one of those historic, must-see cities on their domestic travel bucket list.

Sure, it's great during the day. But I'd be real careful going out at night.
Here's another story of senseless murder

Someone needs to do something. Mayor Nutter knows what's up. Talk alone isn't going to solve this though.

 
I'm not a huge fan of violence, (maybe seeing the latest Mission Impossible movie yesterday filled my head with images of crazy martial art skills) but wouldn't these thugs learn a lesson if the people they try this stuff on turn around and snap their neck in a few swift moves?

I know Philadelphia isn't the only one. Every major city with a population in the millions has their issues with crime. Stpo blaming the  and everything else and do something.

But until they get their act together, you can find me in the suburbs after the sun goes down.

No comments: