Friday, February 25, 2011

Hard Worker's Club

The Hard Worker's Club. This is a phrase coined by my sister and her friend, describing the exclusive club one belongs to when they work 2 or more jobs.

I'm a long-standing member of this club, and I can honestly say I reallly enjoy it. I've worked 2 jobs for at least the past 10 years, and I don't see it stopping any time soon. I don't need to do it, which is probably why I haven't burnt out by now. It's not easy, but the trick is to make sure the second job is really fun, pays well, or is incredibly satisfying (bonus if all 3 apply!). Organization and proper planning is an absolute must in the multi-job world... life can get really tricky if you start double booking yourself or missing deadlines. I'm lucky enough to love my FT gig AND my side job, which is exactly why I push myself to work more than I should, later than I should, and put in those 12hour days when I really don't have to. This sounds like too much, but throw in 3-4x/wk gym visits on top of that as well as hang outs with friends, phone calls, etc. I ask myself, what other time in my life will I have the energy and flexibility to keep up with this chaotic schedule? Never- now is the time! The key is grabbing the opportunities when they're staring you in the face. You can nap another day or when you're 85 and sitting playing cards in the retirement home. Now's the time to work hard, suck it up, and make that MONEY!

I've put in more than my share of years babysitting. The cash is so tempting and so easy (don't forget tax-free!), but unless you're lucky enough to find a family with really well-behaved kids (I have been that lucky on 3 or 4 occasions), after a while, it's just not worth it. The dream families usually end up moving away, or have children so mature and well-behaved they can stay home alone years before their hyperactive, misbehaving peers. I had dinners ordered for me, generous birthday and Christmas gifts given, an invitation to accompany one family on their vacation to Atlantis in the Bahamas (I declined), and a job offer to work for one family's very successful business (also declined, which was an excellent move as they ended up divorced 5yrs later).
So after one too many times sacrificing my Saturday night to end up arguing with 6yr olds about taking a bath vs shower, trying to avoid the end-of-day cranky meltdown, or fetching that glass of water they needed to be brought to them in bed, I threw in the towel and retired as a babysitter. I have continued working a job closely relating to this, only I've made the genius decision to trade people for... dogs! Being a pet sitter is by far the greatest.job.ever.

So this 12hr day has left me pretty useless tonight. No biggie though, there will be plenty of other Fridays, and with the $$ I've made, I'll be able to thoroughly enjoy the nights I don't have to work! Having 2 jobs going definitely keeps you sharp, and adds a forced efficiency to your life you wouldn't find in non-HWC members. So it's gonna feel really strange the day I go back to just one job... not sure I'll know what to do with myself. It's amazing how much you can handle if you push yourself and run a tight schedule. Take it from me, it can be done. Come talk to me when you're ready for your induction into the PA branch of the HWC.

No comments: