Tuesday, February 22, 2011

These are a few of my favorite things...

No raindrops on roses or whiskers on kittens here... much more exciting!
I'll narrow this down to a specific group of items...(drum roll).... things found at Sephora!! If you've never been- we need to talk. Right now. This store is the Candy Land and Willy Wonka of cosmetics! There are hundreds of shadows, liners, glosses, etc to try- I could spend hours in there. Easily. Writing about all of this is even more fun!

Sephora on the strip in Vegas. I was a frequent visitor!
 My best finds at Sephora are:
  • Laura Mercier Lipstain in Mulberry has an intense berry hue and a slightly dry consistency for application that stays put, unlike most glosses.
  • Laura Mercier Secret Concealer is a must-have. I use #1, since I'm a ghostly shade of pale all year long. This little pot of miracle is perfect for any dark circles some people have naturally, or to hide those nights of less than 5hrs sleep (right here!) It's a really great product, and the smallest amount makes a huge difference!
  • Too Faced Shadow Insurance. You wouldn't paint your walls without priming them first, right? Then no excuses not using a shadow primer before all shadow/liner application. This creates the perfect base for layering/smudging/blending colors, wet or dry. You'll thank me next time you try rockin that smokey eye and use this first!
  • Bare Minerals SPF15 Foundation. Lightweight with fast application, it takes about 3 minutes to sweep the fluffy brush across your face and get a nice, even, light coverage. The SPF is key so unless you want wrinkles, you better use it everyday!
  • Sephora Eye Pencil in Stingray. This is a deep plum, and goes on super smooth, complementing blue/green eyes nicely. It's the same quality as NARS or Stila liners and half the price.
  • Sephora Body Butter in Apple Pomegranate. This found its way into my stocking this Christmas and I love it! Not overly fragrant, it absorbs quickly and doesn't leave the greasy residue beyond like other lotions. Your skin will be super soft all day long.
  • Burberry London (eau de parfum). This stuff is the real deal. I've been wearing it for at least 7 years and it works perfect with my "chemistry". It's true, a fragrance will rarely smell the same on two people. I remember in middle school when CK One was the hottest thing around, and it smelled 10x better on my friend than me. You gotta find a scent that works with you. This is mine!
    After all these years, I still go somewhere and have a stranger stop and ask me what I'm wearing. That's when I answer "Oh, nothing! I was born smelling this great" OK. I lie.
    My secret is combing two scents (it's called layering), so no one can ever smell just like me. Less is more with this approach, unless you want people wondering if you got doused at the Macy's counter by an aggressive saleswoman.

    And no, I'm not telling you the other secret scent : )
    
    The goods
    

No comments: