Sunday, February 20, 2011

Super Lazy

This was written in December 2008, sitting in my draft queue... not sure why I never posted it... so I just hit the button!

2009 will mark my seven year anniversary at LA Fitness. LA and I have a long history and our share of ups and downs, but after quitting and rejoining twice, I think we're tight again. After 4 straight college years of eating, sleeping, TV-watching, eating, drinking, lounging, and eating some, I knew I had to clean up my act and decided in early 2002 to join the local gym.

It was a good move. Fortunately for me, I came home from college in virtually all the same clothes I'd left in. I somehow (miraculously) avoided the so-called freshman 15, all while catching Oprah and Jerry on the top bunk and enjoying my daily lunch of Pizza Hut personal pans and bread sticks. The salad bar worried me, so did anything else "fresh." After that one morning and that nausea-inducing swig of rancid chocolate milk, I was convinced a hot pizza was the only safe choice. Logical, right?

So LA and I were off to a good start. The people seemed normal, things didn't seem too crowded, and I was able to maintain a disciplined schedule of 3-4 workouts a week. There was an abundance of classes offered, so I figured I'd try them out. The aerobics was a nightmare. If I wanted a dance class, I would have ordered the MTV at-home hip hop version. I can only "grapevine" so many times in 1 hour, and the music was beyond a joke. No more of that. The cycling was fun, and I did it continuously for over a year with fabulous results. I highly recommend it.

My only trouble- I hate mornings. Yes, it's advised to blast through the workout in the morning and ride the wave of high metabolism throughout the day, but I just can't do it! So I did the 7pm class and that worked. At this time I was working varied hours (that's a whole other blog), so my schedule was conducive for nightly workouts. My downfall definitely occurred when I stepped through the evil gates of Hell into Corporate America and the 8-5 office job. Besides ruining my life, it also killed my workout routine. I am partially to blame, but when you spend 9 hours a day reminding yourself how much your job stinks, the last thing you want to do is force yourself to work out for an hour. So I've been on and off the fitness wagon since then. When I'm on the wagon though, you can find me, iPod in hand, gettin my workout on!

No comments: