Sunday, October 30, 2011

Ireland 2011

I'll finish off the weekend with the Ireland recap I've been talking about for the past month. Sorry to the hundreds of readers I've left hanging the past few weeks  ; )

I kept talking and talking about this 2011 vacation I was taking, and right up until the last minute, I was undecided about where I was going and who, if anyone, would accompany me.

I had the answer right in front of me the entire time. It even says so in one of my posts from early 2011. After lines and lines of indecisive back and forth with myself, I said: "That's it. I'm going back to Ireland."

And back I went. Solo.

Best.Decision.Ever

Let me give the strongest recommendation I can for everyone in this world to take a solo vacation- if only just once in your life- do it. Unless of course, you're one of those codependent types who can't spend 5 minutes alone in a public place without constantly playing on your phone or texting, because you're too uncomfortable doing anything in this world by yourself. Then I probably wouldn't recommend the solo vaca for you. Honestly though, you're really missing out on a completely unique and unforgettable experience.

Okay, so because I was already familiar with Dublin, it made sense to go back there. Last time I was there was only for 2 days, so I had much more exploring to accomplish. I seriously considered making Belfast my destination and then travel more and see the Antrim Coast. Some reading between the lines after comments by a certain parent who didn't think this was a safe city to visit solo confirmed the plan that Dublin was the place to go. Even with this slight change in original plans, I was absolutely determined to hit Belfast and Giant's Causeway on this trip; and when I set my mind on something, nothing can stop me.

If you've spoken to me since I've returned, you've heard the whole tale. I'll do a little recap here, much like I did for my other big trips in previous posts.

I arrived on one of the hottest days in Dublin- 80deg! They never see temps like these, so after my flight, when I had a few hours to kill before the hotel check in, I made my way to St Stephen's Green for some reading, people watching, duck picture-taking, and just taking in the perfect day. Great start to the vacation  : )


A duck-less pic, but still pretty perfect
After a few hours there, I checked into the same hotel I stayed at last time I was there- Temple Bar Hotel Love this place I really love this hotel. The location couldn't be more perfect, there's a Tesco right across the street, 20min from the airport, 5min walk from the train station, and you're right in the middle of all the fun at night in Dublin. Great place.

Next I did a little bike tour around Dublin. This was a group guided tour and we rode everywhere; from the Docklands to Merrion Square to St Patrick's Cathedral. All around the city for 2.5hrs basically. In and out of traffic, between parked cars and buses. It was a little nuts, but still fun. And no one got ran over. I took one self pic of me in the bike helmet after riding for 2hrs in 80deg. That pic will NOT be posted. haha

Next day was the sailing trip in Dun Laogahire. See previous post http://smilelikeyoumeanit-3118111b.blogspot.com/2011/09/sick-sailing-trip.html for that whole story. I'm still doing my sailing weekend next summer in Delaware, where the waters are calm for an amateur like myself. (Dramamine will be in hand)

Not my fav pic, but keep in mind the wind was ridiculously strong and it's hard not to squint.
The next day... pouring rain ALL day. No big deal. I was anticipating this happening at least once. I had some contingency plans in case the weather wasn't cooperating on any given day. So it was Saturday and raining, so I decided to hit some museums. How about a former jail outside Dublin? Cool. So I went. Kilmainham Gaol is pretty fascinating. I enjoy these tours, so this was my kind of thing. Got some creepy shots too, outside the jail where they held executions, etc.



Inside the jail

Sunday was spent in Howth, which is a short train ride north of Dublin and absolutely worth spending a day there. See previous post http://smilelikeyoumeanit-3118111b.blogspot.com/2011/10/hiking-in-howth.html for some pics and a video on that. What a great day that was. I definitely got a workout in that day. After trips like these, I wonder how I could ever go back to, say, Cancun for a week and enjoy it. Call me crazy, but I'll take hikes and spectacular views over palm trees and crystal blue ocean water any day. This town is a must if you visit Dublin!

The pictures don't do these sights justice
Monday was my last full day, and I saved the big trip to Belfast and Giant's Causeway for last. It took 2hrs to get from Dublin to Belfast and another 2 from Belfast to Giant's Causeway, and then the town of Derry. This is another must see. 4 hours was worth it to drive from Vegas to the Grand Canyon, so I figured this wouldn't be much different of a day trip from a timing perspective. Belfast is pretty cool, but the ride along the coast is amazing! Reminds me of the drive from the Ring of Kerry up to the Cliffs of Moher last time I was there. Sites like this are so worth it, and next time I'm spending at least half a day there. I have tons more pics in my web album. I'm really pleased how these turned out. I was careful to try and not take duplicate shots and also not get other tourists/people in the shot.


So that concludes my fabulous trip. Such a good time and I can't wait to get back and do the NW part of the country such as Donegal and Sligo. Everyone needs to visit this country at least once in their life, and I will do my best to convince them to do so!




No comments: