Monday, November 14, 2011

Faked out...almost

Ever open the mailbox and get a glimpse of what looks like a handwritten card, and then at a closer look see it's really junk mail in disguise?

Today wasn't the first time try tried to dupe me with this crafty cursive font. I wised up to their trickery years ago, and it led me to the conclusion that an actual handwritten anything is so rare anymore. So of course you grab that piece of mail first before all the other credit card applications and roof-fixing brochures. Why hand write and mail someone a note when you can...  wait for it ...email them? How many (non-coworker) friend's handwriting can you describe in detail? (Friends you've known pre-email era don't count) Not many, right?

Well readers, I still write out my Christmas cards. No massive e-card blast (although they do have some super cute song/animation combos), no generic "Merry Christmas to all my friends!!!" Facebook post as my only Christmas greeting. I carefully choose my cards, find my favorite pen with the most consistent ink flow, and write whatever I'm feeling at the moment. And I will feel satisfied mailing my authentic handwritten card amidst a sea of junk mail wannabes.  

No comments: