Monday, November 28, 2011

One of My Biggest Dislikes

Hunting.

I hate it.

This time of year especially, when the news announces the big "first day" and the proud hunters who stare into the eyes of an innocent animal minding it's own business and shoot it dead, and then brag to the news stations about who shot the biggest point buck.

Yes, overpopulation. Yes, danger to motorists on busy roads, blah blah and all the other reasons you can think to justify it. I understand if someone has to hunt for food to survive, but that's not a place where a grocery store is on every corner- like our entire area. The deer were here first, and now they are stalked by gun-happy, Cabella's-frequenting men with guns because we had to develop every square inch of land with cookie cutter subdivisions, and push these animals out of their habitat. 

The hunting will continue, but my problem is with the person who can look an innocent animal in the eye, pull the trigger, and kill it for the sake of hanging it on the wall as some kind of sick trophy. Can you guess I'm anti-hunting? I'm obviously mature enough not to preach my opinions to others, similar to what I've done for those (now dwindling) smoking friends of mine, but I could never have anyone in my life who enjoys this type of thing. It's not sport- it's killing.

No comments: