Sunday, May 15, 2011

Insanely Good Italian Dinner

The last time I had some really delish Italian food, I was in.... Italy. Yeah. Big act to follow. (See Feb 2011 Italy blog post). I'm not the biggest fan of the usual chicken parm or other meat-based dishes, but give me some homemade pasta or any type of seafood dish, and I am in heaven!!

DiPaolo's is where we went last night, and wow did he hit a home run with the restaurant selection. I always thought I was a food lover, but he really makes me reevaluate my claim. My pickiness used to make eating out slightly difficult. You will never catch me ordering steak, pork, lamb, or veal. I only like chicken if it's sliced up in a salad. There are so many restaurants anymore, and the menus are so expansive, if it has a seafood page, I'm most likely ordering off that. I'm a huge seafood/shellfish fan.

I sit here and claim not to like meat, but throw some Antipasto in front of me and I'm grabbin all the greasy, salty capacola and salami I can. Add some cheese and olives in there and you have to take the plate away for me to stop eating. So we had that and then the calamari for the app. These squid rings were pretty big, and just slightly fried. I've had calamari more times than I can count and these absolutely ranked as legit. This sounds weird, but there's a firm, slightly springy feel good calamari has when you bite into it. For people with food "texture" issues, this is probably an item you avoid, but eating that calamari last night has reactivated my snob meter for squid done right!

I also love crab cakes. Real crab cakes shouldn't be bursting with flavors of peppers or spices. They should be lump backfin crab meat and whatever invisible magic stuff they use to bind it together- and that's it. I only usually order them at places like McCormick & Schmick's in Philly or any place near the shore with fresh seafood. Last night was the real deal though. The ones at DiPaolo's are the size of a large orange and all you see is a giant snowball of crab meat- no filler! I could only eat half of mine after all the other stuff. (Annnnnd I just finished eating the other half now. There was no way I could wait until dinner!)

So so good! Service and ambiance were great. I will definitely be going back there again.


No comments: