Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Road Ragin!

Little bit of a rant for this one. As if the title wasn't telling enough.

I was never a Seinfeld watcher. I know, roll your eyes in disbelief, but I never got into it and because I'm not a big TV watcher to begin with, I'm in the 1% of the population who never gets the million Seinfeld references that continue long after the show went off air.

Given what I've heard, I'm having my own Seinfeld moment of sorts on the ride home from work. No puffy shirts or close talkers- this one involves a really junky station wagon, some white trash hillbillies a couple of straight up country bumpkins, and the clock striking 4 o'clock.

I have two options on my ride home. 76 and the back roads on 23. I usually opt for 23, the windy but faster option.  Starting this past winter, inevitably, twice a week this maroon hoopdi (sp?) Toyota station wagon has found its way in front of me and managed to go 25mph all 6 miles on 23 through Gladwyne!  It's hard to express this via blogging, but today- it happened again.  After a crazy busy day, all I wanted to to was get in the car and go home.  I drive up to the intersection to turn on 23, the clock says 4:00, and who do I see?? Ma and Pa slowpoke!  As soon as I saw they had the green and turned right in front of me, there was an instant "Noooooooo!"(in super slo-mo sound) echoing through my head.

So here we go again, me stuck behind these riding-the-brake-the-entire-time-and-sticking-their-hands-out-the-window-in-that-wavy-motion-so-you-can-feel-the-wind and all the while I'm gripping the wheel with two hands, knuckles turning white, and looking for ANY CHANCE I CAN GET to pass them- double line be damned! I successfully managed the pass once this winter. If you know the hills of Gladwyne, this is not a recommended move. Not worth passing anyone in my new-ish car. I'm not that stupid. Instead, I get to watch their tripled up air fresheners dangling from the rear view (Yankee Candle, a Sponge Bob, and another unidentified one) and I wonder if they even look at the speedometer, or notice there's a line of cars 10 deeps backing up train-style behind them every day??

So I guess what's Seinfeld-esque about this is the fact it drives me absolutely nuts, but I can never confront them. And the fact they're just strange, oblivious people, and the same infuriating situation keeps repeating itself. If cameras were filming, the moment I see their car in front of me or 5 ahead of me jamming up the road- one look at me, and you'd know how ticked I was. It literally adds 5 minutes to my ride home. 5 minutes I could be home catching the 2nd half of Oprah (It's her last season, have they no respect??).

The culprit. Imagine this in maroon. The RAAAAGGGEEE!

No comments: