Saturday, September 3, 2011

Recharged

3 day weekend, I’m so happy to see you! I guess 12hrs sleep and a special concoction of tea and vitamins were enough to get me feeling back to good, after feeling like a truck ran me over at the end of day yesterday. A full week of stress, minimal sleep, junk food, and only 1 day of running left me feeling like absolute crap. But don’t worry- I bounce back quickly.

I got up early to hit VF for a run, before it got too hot and turned into the overcast day they predicted. I prefer a run in the sun. As I was walking out the door, my neighbor opens hers to get the newspaper. She’s really nice, one of the many ‘seniors’ who live here. I assume she’s late 60s/early 70s, but I’ve never asked. I don’t run into her too often, but when I do, she always has some really honest statement/observation she shares with me… and it’s usually about me. Today it was: “Even on your free day, you’re still going going going!” She’s right. I don’t think leaving at 8:30am on a Saturday is that strange, but maybe she thinks I’m part of the lazy generation who sleep until noon every weekend (only if the night before was a wreck!)
Her mind is sharp, but she has some hip or back problem which causes her to use a walker and move slow as molasses all the time. I really do feel bad for her. She pops her head out the door and sees me in my running gear, and it takes her 5 minutes to walk down the hall to get to the elevator. I never want that happening to me. Obviously she didn’t have a choice in it, but running around doing a million things like I always do, I simply cannot imagine any kind of physical hindrance. It would kill me.


Had a good run, except for that bird that pooped on my head around mile 2 of 5. It felt like an acorn hit me, or a bee flew smack into my head. I go to brush whatever it was away, and then it got all over my hands. Ugghhh. It was on part of my shirt too, so I run as fast as I could to the bathrooms along the trail, which are thankfully only about 1/2mi further up. I don’t care who sees me sweating, but God forbid anyone sees I have bird poop in my hair! A temporary interruption… and the culprit wasn’t a little sparrow- more like a crow. They say it’s good luck, so I’ll take it. I understand it’s more likely to happen on a crowded boardwalk where tons of seagulls are flying overhead, but I was running… under ONE tree. Bad timing I guess. So by the end my eyes were burning with sweat, I had crap in my hair, and I wasn’t wearing my favorite Dri-FIT gear. No wonder it all fell apart! Oh well, good material for the blog, right?


I’m so excited to watch a few hours of the US Open before selling some vodka and then meeting up with my friend later tonight. I haven’t seen her in a while, so we have some catching up to do. There’s nothing I like more than watching Roger play. Rafa too, but Roger’s my favorite by far. Speaking of Rafa… Wow, who’s seen those new Armani ads?? First David Beckham and Cristiano Ronaldo, and now Rafa? Hot! Tennis doesn’t get nearly enough love from the American public. It’s such an amazing game to watch and it gets so intense! John McEnroe’s commentary completes it. He was such a hot head, and it’s so funny when they play those old clips and he doesn’t even try to justify his crazy behavior. Can’t fault a guy for being passionate about the game.


I hope Andy Roddick sticks around longer this tournament. I follow him and a bunch of others on Twitter and besides loving that nasty serve of his, he seems like someone I’d want to hang out with. Him and Ochocinco. I know he has over 2 million followers, but maybe one day he’ll reply to one of my tweets. I won’t hold my breath though  : )

No comments: