Saturday, April 9, 2011

Phone and Food

Get ready...

Get excited!!

I finally got... a new phone! Now I can shut up and stop blogging about it :)
Got a Droid Pro and realllly like it.  It was a toss up between another Blackberry and a Droid. This Droid has a touch screen and also an actual keyboard at the bottom of the phone. I was told Blackberry converts would adapt to this model with ease. It wasn't as heavy as the Droid X my friend had, so I went with it. The apps are amazing, the free music DLs are awesome, and besides using a lot of battery, I have no complaints yet. Then again, it's only been 24hrs. 
Droid Pro
Now on to food- a topic which makes frequent appearances on this blog. I'm not talking about food I'm making, but food that some people are obsessed with, and on a mad hunt to find...

Food Trucks!

I remember first talking about this with some pals from the bay area when I was in Italy for a wedding. These highly sought after vehicles specialize in anything from Chinese, Thai, Mexican, Falafel, and Soul Food, and will show up at specific locations with minimal notice. They open for an hour or so, serve until everything's gone, and then drive way, always leaving someone wanting more. The trend has caught fire on Twitter and Facebook- creating members who don't actively tweet, but rather sign up only to follow these food trucks as they tweet their secret location. Some are stationary (like the ones around University City in Philly), but a lot practice the roaming method. Many are colorful and artfully designed- easy to spot on the street.

I haven't personally tried the food from any of these restaurants on wheels, and looking into them a bit further, I realized I was straight up prejudice casting judgement too quickly, throwing them into the same category as the other less-than-sanitary pretzel and hot dog vendors in Philly. We've all seen the hidden camera exposes on the news and what these people do, then serve food to customers on the street. Pretty nasty.

A lot of people running these things are former restaurant chefs; people who want to be their own boss and control their own hours, all while adding their own personal flair. Pretty good idea, if you can turn a profit. Way less overhead then a restaurant, that's for sure. If you're at all familiar with the restaurant industry, their hours are never ending and almost always include nights and weekends. There aren't too many reports of unsanitary practices, and judging by the line of people most food trucks command, either the food is that good... or we Philadelphians just don't care! I'm rarely in Center City during the day, but I definitely want to try out one of these things.



Story on Philly Food Trucks


Looks like delicious tacos come from this truck

No comments: