Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Beyond Ridiculous

So I get the mail today and see the usual Bed Bath & Beyond ad.  I always page through it, since there's a store 2 miles from me, and see if there's anything I need.

Hold on a minute

Am I the only one who flips through their colorful pages, brimming with fantastic household and bath items you can't live without, and thinks "Who needs any of this stuff??"

Let's browse the ad, shall we?

1. A fabric shower curtain. $39.99. Fair enough. We all need one of those.

2. A Yankee Candle in "Fluffy Towels" scent. What? How does this differ from their "Clean  Cotton" scent? If you do laundry on a regular basis and throw a Snuggle sheet in there- bam!- there's your fluffy towel scent wafting through the house. Do some more laundry and save yourself $20.

3. Sensor Soap Dispenser. For $39.99 and 4 AA batteries, you can have a countertop soap machine that dispenses an adjustable amount of soap so your lazy ass doesn't have to push the regular soap pump. Really? So by the time the batteries and soap are purchased, you're looking at $50 to wash your hands.

4. Shake Weight. Not even going there.

5. Double Microfiber Floor Duster $19.99, Microfiber Swivel Mop $17.99, and Angled Broom $14.99.  Who needs three different things to clean the floor? Everyone knows those floor dusters and mops do nothing but push the dirt around. Nothing gets clean. If you have the expensive, real hardwood flooring you need special cleaner and some elbow grease to do that job right (or a housekeeper).

The point of my story is TOO MUCH! We use too much, live in a world of too much, and keep creating new items to brainwash people into thinking their house (and life) will be clean and organized if they have the right mop and container for everything.

Stop the insanity!

I think this really hit home when a few years ago I saw all these "containers" near the Christmas decorations. A plastic wreath holder. A plastic case to hold the Christmas lights and extension cords. A long plastic cylindrical tube to store wrapping paper. You know where I keep my wrapping paper? Behind the couch! Go ahead and look next time you come over (for any of my friends actually reading this).  No extra container needed, I throw all those rolls back there and next year there they are, ready to wrap all my presents. Feng Shui is destroyed by clutter, and although I'm guilty of being a "saver" on occasion, I refuse to buy more junk to store, organize, or clean my already existing junk!

I'm not trying to tear up BB&B, but they're totally guilty of a store who sells 25% essential items, and the rest is just frivolous garbage! So the next time you need a container to hold your other containers or 85 varieties of mops, hangers, brooms, or shoe racks... you know where to go.
What's inside all those containers? Trash

No comments: