Monday, August 22, 2011

Back at it

After a little bit of a hiatus with all this hot weather... I'm back

With fall being my favorite time of year for outdoor activity, I needed a push of motivation to get me back on the program. Motivation of this sort comes with a date on the calendar and a swipe of the credit card. That's all it takes- and I'm ready to go.

I opted not to do the 1/2 marathon. Ehh just wasn't feelin it.  I'm not sure I have enough time to properly train and the one I chose is in the burbs and much more exciting... ready?.....

A Halloween themed 13K
 (blackandorangeblackandorangeblackandorange)

I love Halloween and 8.07 miles sounds a whole lot better than 13.1! The registration fee was also $80 less. I'm not about paying a high price for all that sweating and physical exertion. This is totally doable, won't require tons of time dedicated to training, and will keep me following a schedule as we head towards the holidays, my favorite food season of the entire year!

I tend to hit my stride at the 3-4 mile mark. Maybe that's why 5Ks never did the trick for me. 6-10 feels just right. Enough to keep me in shape and not cut into the rest of my life. Double the laundry and showers, you can't escape that, but at least the runs won't go much beyond an hour+.  I want to keep it where I enjoy it. I didn't run XC in high school all those years because I hated it. If it becomes work and like a chore, you're in danger of turning something you really like into something you resent. Not a good thing.

So it's back on the plan... only 2 months to go  :)

No comments: