Monday, August 15, 2011

Knot Gonna Lie...

...Indoor rock climbing is a really fun time, even for someone like me who took 10 minutes figuring out how to tie the knot on my stupid rope! (This was after an hour of instruction and repetition. Ugh)

Another weekend adventure. Same crew, different place. And that pesky rain making an appearance again. No worries though, a little rain won't slow us down. 
How sweet are these shoes?
So... the rock climbing thing. Challenging? Yes. Requires focus? Yes again. Way harder than it looks? (For me) Yes! It takes some serious upper body strength to climb some of those walls. I made it all the way up twice- and then I just couldn't make it happen the remainder of the time. Hesitation was my downfall; if I ran up the wall fast like a squirrel, maybe I wouldn't have gotten stuck halfway up, frozen with indecision looking for my next move.

Every sport has their special equipment and characteristics of its participants. I think I could find the same crew rock climbing that shops at Whole Foods, REI, the incense store, and the vegan cafe. (No stereotypes on this blog...never) It seems you need a bag of chalk, some crazy shoes, a disaffection for haircuts and shaving (if you're a guy), and a passion for a gnarly climb to fit the part. Right on.

The chalk


It's probably considered a good night at the climbing wall when you emerge sporting a mix of sweat and chalk.



On a serious note, it is a fun time and a good way to challenge yourself and put your trust (and life) in the hands of others. My skilled belayer only left me swinging from the rafters once... and I lived to tell! Fun time though, for real.





Back to my inability to tie this knot. I'm going to blame it on...
  • My sub par preschool teachers? (Nah, too early to learn knot tying)
  • A defective rope? (Nope. Rope was fine)
  • The a-a-a-a-a alcohol (Not even close)

    Can't even lie my way out of it.


I think you get the picture



No comments: