Sunday, August 7, 2011

Overboard x 3

Yes. Overboard. Three times. Those are my impressive personal stats from a super fun day in Jim Thorpe white water rafting www.jtraft.com . That's also the explanation for the bruises on my legs which look like someone took a boat paddle and used me as their personal pinata. (Side note: Were I a pinata, I would be filled with M&Ms, Swedish fish, and gummi worms) 
No big deal. So it's pants only for the next week. I'll manage. (And no, I'm not posting pics!)

If you haven't been on a trip like this- you should go- it's loads of fun! I can't take credit for suggesting it, but someone equally as adventurous as myself and fond of outdoor excursions made a great call with this one. Props.

Finding some awesome boat mates makes the trip even better. It's a random selection if you start with less than 5 people in your party, but with some good vibes and a strong hunch, we found ourselves some really great people who not only pulled me out of the water, but stayed to hang out for some drinks later that night.

Now let me clarify this whole overboard thing. I'm hardly clumsy, so it wasn't like I leaned back too far and fell off the side. I am to blame though for sitting in the front, zoning out for a moment (or ten), not holding on, and failing to see the huge underwater rocks coming up as we went down the river. (Oops) Imagine riding a bike fairly fast and hitting a foot high curb straight on. Bike stops, you go flying. Well, our raft was the bike, the rock was the curb, and I... went... flying. A little ouch, but more funny than anything. Thankfully, I never have trouble laughing at myself. I was a novice rafter, so I'm writing it all off to inexperience. Next time, I'm showing that river who's boss!  : )

Bottom line: This kind of trip has all the elements for a guaranteed fun time. Beautiful scenery, a great workout paddling and navigating rocks and some rapids, throwing water at strangers (including groups of touristy-like people who are constantly taking pictures...I'll stop there), meeting some cool new people, and creating some fun stories and memories.

A few final notes...
  • Don't go on a trip like this if you're going to complain about getting wet... while you're on a RIVER. (Yes, someone did this)
  • It's absolutely hilarious to witness an entire bucket of water thrown on an unsuspecting family in the raft next to you. (All in good fun!)
  • There's a common thread in all those outdoor guide-type people. They're so one with nature and love their job. Good for them. If only everyone could get paid for doing something they truly enjoy.

No comments: